I read today an article on NPR (National Public Radio) on microtargeting by the McCain campaign in Ohio. The McCain campaign will call people and record whatever information that they discover that could be helpful in "microtargeting" them. Then, when McCain workers go and knock doors, they pull up this information prior to seeing them. Then, they base what they talk about upon this information.

For instance, if they find out a person is a teacher, they will talk about McCain's education plan. This strategy is light years ahead of non-targeted, one size fits all advertising and messaging of previous years.

All of this made me think about outreach. What if we put this much time and effort into approaching people with the gospel with a "targeted message." For instance, going door knocking or visiting a family of four, telling them about our church's children's ministry. Or talking with a person who lost a loved one about the hope that Christ offers. Or sharing with a person who has been addicted how Christ can break the power of addiciton.

Are we less committed to reaching out than political campaigns are to getting people to vote for their candidates?

What do you think of using technology for microtargeting our outreach efforts? Is this a good use of technology?

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

I love this idea. It shows progressive out of the box thinking. I also read recently that Obama's campaign bought advertising in on-line video games. In one of the driving racing games, there are Obama billboards on the road and highways you see while playing. That was genius of them to reach their intended target of young voters. We too should change our approach and figure out ways to reach out to those in our communities in a non-traditional manner.

Kevin Brockus
Kevin, I too like out of the box thinking. You cite a good such example with Obama's campaign advertising on video grams. Jesus said that the people of the world are often more clever than God's people. We need to use good ideas wherever they come from.

Kevin Brockus said:
I love this idea. It shows progressive out of the box thinking. I also read recently that Obama's campaign bought advertising in on-line video games. In one of the driving racing games, there are Obama billboards on the road and highways you see while playing. That was genius of them to reach their intended target of young voters. We too should change our approach and figure out ways to reach out to those in our communities in a non-traditional manner.

Kevin Brockus
I think this could be a great approach to outreach. A targeted message is more apt to get a response than a shotgun approach. The children's ministry would a good targeted message to start with, but if we could determine more information about the people we are targeting we could have a greater impact with our message and results. Some good thinking out of the box James.
Thanks for sharing, Jim. I think that you are right about children's outreach. This is a great group to reach out to. We already know many of the general needs of those with children. But finding out more specific information of what their needs are and how we could serve them would be good.

There is a reason that ad companies pay tons of money for specific "research" like this. I wonder how we might be able to best find out this information for ministry.
James even if our country is in a low right now, it still stands that the majority have computers in there homes this is the age and a great way to reach into the lives and homes of the Lost. Lots have knowledge in computers but not in the Bible. Why? they don't find it interesting there is no hunger for the knowledge of God if we the people, can put a hunger in them that might be a start. Free Games on your sight that make the child read and move action figures taking them from the beginning to the end and starting in Geneses. Every month a new game could go onto the system, everyone knows kids love to win on computer games. Just food for thought. And as a Grandmother i would rather have kids playing biblical games and learning the word of God than games that cause them to be brain dead.
Helena, I like your thinking here. I have two little girls, and they like to go to sites like PBSkids.com and play various games.

Let's see if others on this network have some ideas about some biblical online games that we could add.

I had not thought of this at all. This is why this network is so great--new, fresh, and diverse ideas from God's people around the world. Thank you!

RSS

Latest Activity

BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER commented on T.J.R.Benhur Babu's photo
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Father in the name of Jesus Christ restore mobility back too her life restore ordor back and finally This will make a Differance in her hold life Give her you father for my sister Kishinev Davis and my sister tanksley Dovie. Amen"
Jul 22, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Bishop loves you All"
Jul 22, 2023
BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER posted a status
"Bishop loves you"
Jul 7, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work